Gaining new customers is always great, but keeping current ones happy is even greater for the continued success of one’s business. Customer retention yields profit increases of 25 to 100 percent according to professional management consultants. Paying attention to current clients and keeping them happy is always a wise approach to maintain good customer relations and word-of-mouth referrals as a result. Below are a few tips to help maintain a good customer relationship.
- Send a special offer from time to time to reward active buyers — say, if someone buys more than once in a 30-day period, give this customer a $5 gift certificate (or store credit, or a coupon) as a gift of appreciation to their patronage. Or to make it even more personal, find their birthday and send a special coupon personalized to them!
- Create and distribute (via a mailing list) helpful tips that will make your customers’ life easier and/or more exciting, thus staying in touch and letting them know that you care about them.
- Reward them for referrals by giving out coupons or gift cards/store credits if you gain a new customer/buyer through them.
- Conduct surveys to discover their satisfaction with your service and use these answers to improve areas of your business and predict future businesses. This also shows them that you care to know what they think and how satisfied they are.
- In addition to special sales, create gift certificates/store credits during a holiday season or event so that your customers can take advantage of the offer now and use the store credit/gift card later. They will sure appreciate an opportunity to save when they are ready to buy.
Suggested Readings on creating a winnable customer relationship:
- Developing a Relationship With a Customer
- Tips for Building Strong Relationships With Clients
- 3 ways to grow and maintain customer relationships